This recipe has shattered my perception of vegan food. Simply put, this is the recipe to share with your meat-loving friends and family. It is a simple recipe to follow and yields a firm meatball that will be perfect for your favorite tomato-based sauce.
Vegan meatballs using cooked pasta and red kidney beans. Delicious and firm meatball that can be used alone or as part of a meatball sub.
|15 min||12 min||4|
- 1 cup dried pasta (macaroni works great)
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 3 green onion1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook the pasta in salted water until the noodles are soft. In the meantime, drain the kidney beans and smash them in a bowl (use your hands or blitz them with a hand blender). Dice the garlic and onion and saute them in a non-stick frying pan. Once the garlic and onions are lightly browned, add them to the bean mixture.
- Drain the cooked pasta and add to the bowl with the smashed beans. Use the hand blender to blend the bean mixture and pasta, along with the spices. Work the mixture until it it has blended all the ingredients together, it should look like ground meat at this point.
- Hand mix the breadcrumbs and begin to form into small meatball shapes. Add the formed balls to a preheated skillet with the olive oil. Make sure to move the vegan meatballs around so they cook on all sides. You will notice a nice crust forming on the outside of the meatball. That's where the flavor comes in!
- When the meatballs are cooked, add your favorite marinara sauce and serve. Our favorite meal uses these meatballs with some Italian bread or French baguettes.