Mac and cheese is something most people consider comfort food. It’s the warm melty cheesy goodness that makes life good. And for many people that are making the transition to a vegan lifestyle, this is on the top of the lists of items people miss the most.
But, this doesn’t have to be the case! You can have guilt-free mac and cheese that is plant based. Let me walk you through this easy and very delicious meal.
There are a couple of tricks to this mac and cheese recipe. First is nutritional yeast, something you can find in most grocery stores. Nutritional yeast is a dairy-free savory food seasoning that has a cheese-like flavor. Our local store has it in the bulk section and should be a staple in your kitchen.
The next trick is liquid smoke to round out the flavor and give this dish a smoked cheddar taste. In fact, this combination makes this perfect for the non-vegans in your family.
Here are a few photos showing how simple this sauce comes together.
Once the non-dairy butter and olive oil start to sizzle, just add all of the dry ingredients.
You’ll notice the mixture turns into crumbles as the non-dairy butter and olive oil start to mix. Let this crumbled mixture cook for a couple of minutes to bring out all of the flavors.
Now the fun part. Add 1 1/2 cups of non-sweetened almond milk and stir all those clumps together. And, don’t forget that cap of liquid smoke!
Continue to stir and mix until this magically turns into a golden cheese sauce that is made from plant based products only and is totally vegan. This really is magic and I promise this is light-years better than the package of fake cheese in boxed mac and cheese.
Want a few other options? Here are some of the favorites add-ons for our family:
- Add a cup of frozen peas for some extra color and flavor
- Add a few tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Franks hot sauce for buffalo wing flavored mac-n-cheese
Have you tried this recipe? Tell me what you think. What are some of your favorite add-ons?
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cap of hickory flavored liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup non-dairy butter (Earth Balance works great)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 16 ounces macaroni dried pasta
- Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling water. For best flavor, add a tablespoon of salt to the water.
- While macaroni cooks, preheat a non-stick skillet on medium high
- Add the non-dairy butter and olive oil to heated skillet
- When butter has melted and begins to sizzle, add all of the dry ingredients and mix with wooden spoon
- Add almond milk and liquid smoke to skillet, mix until mixture resembles a rich cheese sauce.
- Drain cooked pasta and add to cheese sauce. Mix together and enjoy!