Faux Chicken Seitan Using Vital Wheat Gluten
I have been cooking food for dozens of years and watched thousands of hours of television cooking shows. Yet, somehow, I never knew about the magic of seitan (pronounced say-tahn, with the emphasis on the second syllable).
Seitan is sometimes called wheat meat or gluten meat since it is made from wheat gluten. This has been a popular food in Asia since the the sixth century, so it must be good if it’s lasted this long!
My first several attempts had mixed results. The following recipe is now producing a flavorful meat substitute that can probably fool your friends. We have used it in many recipes (chicken fajitas, buffalo wings, orange chicken, stir fry, etc.) Although, be warned if people have gluten allergies since this would be a problem as it is mostly made of gluten.
Faux Chicken Seitan
An amazing chicken meat substitute made from vital wheat gluten.
|10 min||1 hr||4|
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Mix dry ingredients with one cup of vegetable broth and form a dough ball.
- Once dough has come together, shape it into a flat disc about an inch thick. Then place it in a bath of cold water to help solidify the dough and prepare for slicing.
- Spread out the seitan mixture and slice it into small bite-sized pieces.
- Now cook the seitan in a shallow pan with vegetable broth that just covers the individual pieces. This process will essentially braise the seitan and add some extra flavor. Place in a 400 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.
- Around 30 minutes into this process, half the liquid will be gone. Flip the pieces of seitan and continue to cook until the liquid is gone.
- Fry pieces in a non-stick skillet in olive oil until golden brown. Allow edges to crisp up for extra flavor.
- NOTE: Add extra spices to match your chicken dish. For fajitas, add chile powder and cumin. For chinese stir fry, add ground ginger, etc. This will help carry the flavors of the dish through the faux chicken.